Search This Blog

Monday 9 June 2014

Driving rant.

I don't drive. I don't particularly want to drive. Of course - it's nice to be able to go on day trips without travel planning, and it would be lovely not to have to lug (drag) bags of heavy shopping up the hill from the local Tesco.

But, walking everywhere and not driving keeps me fit. I really do walk everywhere. I think nothing of a couple of miles. In fact, walking is something that gives me a zen feeling. Earphones in, tunes on, the rhythm of the steps and pace. It's relaxing.

So what's my point, well... I'm job hunting. Nearly every job I want wants me to have a driving license. It is beginning to make me crack up!

Sometimes I wonder how society actually got anywhere without wheels. Lately, it feels like you're nothing unless you can drive.

Now here's trap No. 1.

I look at a job advertisement. I really think I've got a chance. I've got all the experience, the qualifications and I could really make a difference in this kind of role.

Then I read on...
The advertisement/job description says 'must have full driving license and access to a vehicle'.

I think.... F*&&$^%%&%& sake.

For a start - what is the problem with someone taking the bus to go places? Or a taxi? I mean there are other modes of transport.

Secondly, I could get my driving license but this requires...
Money for lessons
Money for test
Money to buy a car
Money for road tax
Money for insurance
Money for MOT
I need a job, to get the money, to do the driving... can't get a job because they want a driver's license.... can't get a license because I don't have the money, I don't have the money because I have no job, can't get a job...... etc... and so it goes on.

(Just so that you know - I'm not going for 'driving' jobs... these are normal office jobs that require licenses!!!)

As an aside, our UK government is going on and on about pollution, being green and being kind to the environment, how there are too many cars on our roads.... So why is it then that nearly everything a person wants to do requires a bloody license?!

So annoying....

Still onwards and onwards. Upwards I'll have to wait for.... clearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment