Search This Blog

Saturday 26 July 2014

Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Open Degree - First Class Honours

I can't believe I forgot to post this. This is probably the most hard worked for achievement (apart from my son of course) that I've ever attained and I didn't even say anything about it.

I got a FIRST!

For those people reading (if there are any) in places outside the UK that don't have the same qualification structure, I'll explain.

I've just completed my University degree. With honours. Which means you've got to do a little extra work to get it. The bit 'First Class Honours' is my score. What this means is, that not only did I not get a degree, but I passed it with the highest pass mark going!!!

Now what do you think of that? I'll tell you what I thought. I was crying, and laughing and going through disbelief and shock and a feeling of sudden wonderment. I offered my thanks to all the forces of the universe and my own powers of determination.

Hooray me. This is the culmination of a few years very hard work, in rather difficult circumstances. (Did I mention the EX even took the CAT from me!? - see previous moany posts!)

I went out to dinner. I got a pair of shoes, and a necklace, and a £100 and some fantastic cards of 'well-done-ness' (that's not a word I'm making that up!).

As I have already tackled (hopefully) my next goal which was to get a job (see post right before this one). My next objective is to find some publishers that will think my poetry is worth reading (and maybe win the lottery - gotta keep the goals high right?!).

So how about that.

A reflection, because I have been very reflective of late...
I have persevered, when my home and personal life came crashing down around me through no fault of my own. I've wanted to give up. I've cried and got angry. I was thrown into life as a single mother. Money has been incredibly tight, sometimes non-existent and the obstacles that have come my way have been crazy. When I look back, I'm not at all sure how I managed any of this. I'm not sure why I didn't crumble, why I didn't just run for the hills, or a high bridge at times even. However... I am living proof, to myself if to no other, that hard work and diligence and a little bit of belief, even wavering belief, DOES PAY OFF in the end. That your aims are there for the taking, if only you'll keep striving for them. So... no matter what, keep trying, just keep on trying.

That's all for now folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment