Search This Blog

Friday 25 July 2014

Interview number 3

I feel like i'm getting worse at interviews. I leave convinced I'm not going to get the job and with a thousand things that I should have said running in my mind.  Interview number one I messed up completely, I hadn't done my research and I was nervous and let myself get overwhelmed instead of selling my skills. Interview number two - well I felt like I did really well at this interview and the feedback that I asked for afterwards was very vague. I got the impression throughout the interview (because they asked in at least three different ways about my future plans and why a person with a degree would be going for a receptionist job) that they felt like I was over qualified. Seeing as the feedback said that 'another candidate had more experience in the area' and - as it was typing a couple of documents and answering the phone - which quite frankly I could do standing on my head I feel like it was a bull**** reason. Oh well. I hope the person they hire quits in a month and they have to rehire and rehire (sorry a bit of bitterness lol).

So interview number three was for a job that I really really would like. I think it would suit me down to the ground, it's varied and friendly and in the kind of community caring setting that I like. The admin role would be varied and involved. I like being busy and I love challenges so that for a start is definitely up my street. I also do want to work for an employer that allows me to feel like I am being truly useful and helpful to the community in some way. I'm not all about the money - money is great of course (and there's nothing wrong with being business and profits minded) but it's not what inspires me. So I went along to the interview last monday and came out and have felt super depressed ever since. I felt like it went ok-ish, I mean I was friendly and chatty and approachable, which seemed like it would suit the setting. I told the two ladies about my work background and my interests. I made sure I tackled the job description, flexibility and drive and able to work with distraction. But.... I just have a very negative feeling, they said that the candidates would be contacted by the end of the week, and as the week has gone by without a phonecall or an e-mail i'm pretty convinced that either tomorrow or Saturday there will be a letter lying on my mat that says - thanks but we didn't pick you.

It's very depressing and difficult to keep an open mind and a positive attitude. The job market sucks for a start - and I need part time, which is another factor. Here in Northern Ireland you've got to fill in application forms constantly, the only people that accept CVs are small businesses, which is totally annoying because you're constantly writing so much and putting hours of work into these application forms to get a 'sorry but no' reply or to get no reply at all. Then if you're lucky enough to be selected for interview - no one wants to give you a shot. Every job wants a huge amount of experience and you're expected to be an expert in everything. No one looks and things, you know, she's kind of smart and she wants the job - she'll work hard lets give her a shot.

Soul destroying. The only option is to push onward but it really gets a person down, very down. Everyone makes it so difficult to get a job that I can see why people settle for being on benefits. I have a work ethic but it's such a depressing series of rejections that it's tempting not to bother.

We'll see what happens. I have two more applications to fill in this weekend... I'd say watch this space or something to that effect but I feel like you would be watching for so long that your eyes would burn up!

No comments:

Post a Comment